Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Frequent Rains in the Evening Making Cochin a Hell

The period between September and Mid November always witnesses heavy evening rains in all parts of Kerala. The heavy rains are usually accompanied by terrible thunder which makes this period a dangerous one. A lot of people had to pay their life due to this heavy thunder showers. So it is better to stay safe and take necessary precautions when this evening thunder shower happen.

The city of Cochin is one of the most unplanned cities in India and the heavy evening rains make this city a real hell. Almost all the the roads would be flooded instantly disrupting the smooth traffic flow. The water logging even enters the residential areas and people usually have  a dreaded experience. The conditions of the major roads in Cochin is really pathetic, as they are blessed with unexpected and huge poth holes. When it rains heavily the poth holes gets filled and as a result accidents are regular.

The heavy evening rains have started this week and I was in the city when it happened. As mentioned above the roads in Cochin got flooded instantly and it left me stranded and I could not go anywhere. I had to wait till the water receded and it cost me almost around 3-4 hours. First I planned to get shelter under a waiting shed build by Cochin corporation, but it was not sufficient to save me from drenching. As a result I ran to a near by coffee shop and had to wait there till the rain slowed. I also met with some unwanted expense as I had to eat and drink from the hotel as I needed some shelter over there.

So anybody who loves to visit Cochin city, please make sure that you are home before the evening rain starts, other wise you would be losing your health and valuable time. :)

No comments: