Friday, July 1, 2011

Vellore Trip Diary - Part 1

In my recent trip to Vellore in Tamil Nadu, I came across some new experience and atmosphere which I would like to share via this blog. Even though it was not a pleasure trip, I tried to enjoy the most of it by roaming around the streets and talking with the local people in Tamil language, which I am not at all comfortable. But the new way of living, new culture and other factors brought curiosity into my mind.

I reached Katpadi Junction by train at 3 AM and from there I had to hire an auto to Vellore where I was supposed to stay in a lodge. I booked the lodge from Kerala, as this lodge was listed there in the brochures send to us by CMC Vellore. The name of the hotel was Park Avenue and it was almost opposite to the Circuit Hose in Vellore. The name seemed to be superb and I booked a room over there, but the moment I stepped into the hotel, it became sure that the only thing that stood out in the hotel was its name. The facilities and other things at this lodge / hotel was really pathetic and it seems that they have not even done any maintenance on this lodge for the past 20 years or so.

There was an middle aged man who was the receptionist and he tried to provide the best service through his English skills and this man seemed to be fine. There was also a room boy, who was around 60 years of age and this guy was also good at his services. I entered the hotel at around 4 AM and the moment I stepped inside, I went to sleep. The next morning the room boy bought us coffee and breakfast, but the overall cost of those things seemed to be too high when compared with the same that is available in Kerala.

I didn't have anything to do that day as the interviews were scheduled for the next two days. So me and my sibling took a small walk around that part of the city to pass out our time. Since the climate in Vellore was too hot and dry, we decided to have coconut juice which was being sold on the road side. The quality of the coconut juice to say the least, was really pathetic. I don't know how they manage to sell these bad quality coconut juices at a price ranging from Rs 15 to 20.

In the noon time we had our lunch in a vegetarian hotel named "Sastha" hoping to get some good traditional food of Tamil Nadu. We ordered meals and soon it arrived on our table with a wide variety of recipes. But the quality of the food was really not encouraging and the price was way too ahead than we expected. We had to return from the hotels feeling disappointed at not having a good meal in the afternoon. We came back to our hotel room and spend the evening watching TV programs and sleeping. In the evening also we had to go to the same "Sastha" hotel as we couldn't find any alternative nearby. This time the hotel managed to maintain the same food quality and again we returned disappointed. We came back to room and slept earlier as we had to report at CMC Vellore at 8 AM.

TO BE CONTINUED.....

No comments: