Sunday, April 17, 2011

Mannar Losing its Natural Charm and Beauty

Mannar is one of the most beautiful village in Pathanamthitta district and is just 10 Kms away from Thiruvalla. This beautiful village is so near to the famous Christian pilgrimage center Parumala. The village is of a typical Kuttanad style and the atmosphere here is really amazing. Since I have few of my relatives in Mannar, I have been visiting this place since my childhood.

The main attraction of Mannar was its beautiful green paddy fields and the famous river Pamba which flows very close to Mannar.  Since I had my close relatives in Mannar, I used to spend atleast 20 days of my school vacation in Mannar every year. Even if you are not doing anything, you would never get bored as you can pass your time watching the natural and beautiful landscape surrounding you. But once I finished my schooling / graduation and started my search for a job, I rarely got time to stay here more than a single day.

After a long time, I visited Mannar a few weeks back and I was really shocked to see the current state of this once beautiful village.  Mannar seems to have lose it natural beauty as majority of the green paddy fields have vanished and new buildings have come in place of that. A lot of people are using these paddy fields to build houses and hence Mannar is no more having that old charm and beauty. No one is interesting in preserving these things and people are not even bothered about doing some agricultural activities in these places.

It seems that in the next 10 years majority of the areas in Mannar would become something like a residential colony with no natural beauty. A lot of house constructions are coming up and all these houses are coming up at the expense of these paddy fields. In my younger days, I used to go fishing in these paddy fields and now a day you cannot really find a paddy field which is good for fishing.





No comments: